[unitegallery mcaminimalist]

One of the more difficult parts of my thesis concerned formatting my multiple correspondence analyses to be printed and understandable on paper. It is nice having a computer and being able to zoom in to see what points are clumped together. It’s very difficult to put it all on a single page using a minimalist design philosophy. The most difficult aspect for me concerned dealing with these clumps of a data points. Initially, I tried to put it all on the page without any callouts. I just moved all of the show names into the white space somewhere close to where they were originally located.

The second picture shows my first attempts at using call outs. I also multiplied all of the Y values by -1 in order to flip the chart vertically. My call outs are still pretty ham handed though. I then attempted to clarify the chart by bringing some colors in to distinguish between show, genre, and gendered roles. I also left out any of the labels in the main chart thatwre also too thick. Following that chart, I thickened the data points.

After doing that, I placed genre and gendered role labels back into the main chart even if they were in the call out. I also added a legend. It was after this chart that I began to focus on being minimalist. All colors went bye bye. I reduced the font size and data point size significantly. Call outs were less intrusive and placed in unique borders to show where they went.

Finally, the final version has  increased font sizes for genres and gendered roles. The symbols were also changed to make the data pop out a little more. Along with the increased size, genres and gendered role fonts became bold. Also, there is only one call out box. The other call outs were simplified into a dotted line leading to a group of names. All of the grid lines except for the x axis were removed.

All of the charts were made using Graphpad Prism.